Sunday, January 3, 2016

What I'm Reading: The Elimination Diet by Tom Malterre and Alissa Segersten


http://www.amazon.com/Elimination-Diet-Discover-Making-Tired--/dp/1455581887

Since I'll be starting the Elimination Diet again around mid month, I thought it would be a good idea to read the book again.  And I'm reminded why I was willing to do it the first time.  This book is really amazing.  It is completely readable by someone who is just starting to try to learn about food reactions, and that impressed me when I was that person.  Now I'm 6 months further down that road, and there is still a ton of extremely useful information that I now have more foundation to understand.  Tom does an amazing job of taking what could be a very technical, complicated discussion and making it clear and simple to understand.

The emphasis on simplicity and clarity made it encouraging to read the first time.  It let me feel like I could take my and hubby's health into my own hands and not have to pay thousands of dollars to a professional (if I could even find one) that may or may not know what they were doing.  There are simple experiments you can do to test things in your body, if you match the symptoms.  And clearly defined expectations of results.  I am experiencing the same encouragement now that I am reading it again.  The reasoning is sound.  The results are plain.

The hardest part is getting into the right mindset.  I am not going to be deprived of foods that I want.  I am going to be claiming the health that God wants all of us to have, and has designed into the world that He built for us.  Even though the world has fallen and is greatly corrupted, even though our bodies are part of that corruption, He designed the world and our bodies with such grace and elegance that we can still choose to claim the health that He designed us to have.  I choose to love the food that I will be eating.  I actually find that I am eagerly looking forward to it, and regret that I can't start right away because of events happening in our lives.  Am I eating the things I know I won't have while I'm on it?  Certainly, and relishing them more because of it.  But I also choose not to mourn their coming absence.  Instead I rejoice in the provision that God has made for me, and all the others who are finding health via His perfect design!

No comments:

Post a Comment