Sunday, January 24, 2016

Guacamole

I have a new favorite way of making guacamole!  Have you ever seen one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Winco-Blade-Pastry-Blender-Stainless/dp/B003HEWB08
It's a hard edged pastry cutter which you can pick up in any restaurant supply store for less than $5, or on Amazon for slightly more.  I don't know if I'm wierd, but I like my guac with chunks of avacado in it as well as a nice smooth base.  So I don't just blend it up with my immersion blender, I've always used a spoon to stir and cut and stir and cut....and stir....and cut.  Takes a while, but I've thought the end result is great.  Well, I'm not sure what clicked in my brain today, but while I was scooping out avacados, I remembered my pastry cutter and thought it might make cutting and stirring easier.  And it sure did!  With 5 blades instead of 1, and a wide flat plane instead of a round slippery one, making chunky guacamole was super easy and fast. It took about 2 minutes instead of 15, totally worth getting something else dirty (I just throw it in the dishwasher anyway...).

I like my guac simple.  I used to just take a spoonful or 2 of a nice chunky salsa, mix it in and call it good.  But I needed something different for the ED.  So I got to thinking, something crunchy is great, and a little spice is nice, but not too much to overpower that delicious avacado flavor.

Elimination Diet Guacamole

4 Avocados (because you can never have enough guacamole, right?)
1/4 C finely chopped onion
1-2 garlic cloves, VERY finely chopped.  I didn't use my mincer for this, I did it by hand and used the flat of the blade to reduce the garlic almost to a paste
salt to taste

Yield: 8 servings, or 1, if we are being really honest... :- )

No comments:

Post a Comment