Monday, January 4, 2016

Review for OXO 11 lb Stainless Steel Scale

I've had several people ask me recently what kind of scale I have, because I mention baking by weight quite a bit.  I have the OXO 11 lb (5 kg) Stainless Steel Scale, because it met all of my requirements when I was looking for a scale.
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA

At first I started looking for an analog scale, because I hate the thought of the batteries running out in the middle of a cooking project.  But after looking at quite a few of them, none of them were really what I wanted, so I started looking at digital scales and made a requirements list as I did.

These are in no particular order, they were all very important to me and I rejected several very nice scales because they didn't have one of these:

Very slim profile- my kitchen is small and if I was going to get a digital scale, it would take as little space as reasonable
Big enough to actually use- I've seen tons of microscopic scales and have wondered how you could possibly put a bowl on them and be able to measure anything
Had to take normal batteries- because those little flat round ones are expensive, and I wanted it to take common batteries so I could scrounge some when they die in the middle of a cooking project
Dual weight systems- so I don't have to do complicated weight conversions in the middle of a cooking project
1 gram increments- because I like to be precise
Easy to clean- I was really surprised at how many of them have open gaps where the buttons come up through the face plate.  I'm not a super messy cook, but flour will get everywhere when you are working with it....
Have enough of a weight limit that it would be useful for bigger projects- because 2 or 3 lbs isn't enough to make a big pot of soup

The OXO scale had all of these features, as well as a bonus one: it has a pull out display for if you have a really big bowl on the scale, so you can still see it!

The only sort of con for this scale, is that it is quite expensive compared to how cheap they can get.  But the more I use it, the happier I am with it.  And after around 8 months, it is still on the batteries it came with, so I can't complain about that either!

No comments:

Post a Comment