Thursday, December 31, 2015

Elimination Diet Roux

I've been learning a lot about roux lately.  Which is pretty neat considering a few months ago I didn't know what it was.  I was working with my Dad to make gravy during the holidays.  He usually uses a shaker to mix in wheat flour to thicken it.  I've read articles that say you can use arrowroot instead, but I've never had that work at all.  But then I ran across a reference to roux.  And voila, the answer to our gravy problem.  The gravy at Christmas dinner was much better than the one at Thanksgiving, lol.

Making roux is easy.  You just use equal parts by weight of a flour and a fat, cook it for a while and then let it cool.  Then you mix it into whatever you are wanting to thicken.  Here is a neat guide I found about it.

I've been trying to think of a way I can make sauce for casseroles and such while on the Diet, but most of the ones I know use dairy as a sauce.  And I know gluten free roux can be made with sweet rice flour and olive oil, both of which are ED compliant.  So I'm thinking I can make some roux to use to thicken sauce to make nice savory saucy casseroles with!  I'm excited to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment