Saturday, December 19, 2015

Waffles: Whole Grain and Gluten Free

This is the recipe that started it all.  After Hubby went gluten free in February 2015, I asked my friends who were also gluten free what to buy, and they recommended the flour blend Namaste.  Now, I'm not trying to bash Namaste, but after using it and having everything turn out soggy and gummy, I was getting frustrated.  I also started to have digestion problems and feeling bad from all the starches and gums that seem to comprise main stream gluten free baking.  I knew that there were grains that were naturally gluten free, after all, there is more to life than wheat, barley and rye.  So I went searching for a gluten free whole grain waffle recipe and happened upon Alissa Segersten's blog, Nourishing Meals.  Turns out that she loves whole grains too, and tries to avoid the gums by using naturally gelling things like flax, chia and psyllium.  I spent weeks looking for all the weird flours her recipe calls for, and when I was finally able to make it, we knew that it would change our lives.  This is my adaptation of the recipe off of her blog, mostly just downsizing and streamlining it, because hubby and I can't eat 16+ waffles by ourselves!

Waffles: Whole Grain and Gluten free, adapted from Nourishing Meals
Yield: about  6 waffles

Dry Ingredients
1 1/2 C (210g) whole grain gluten free flour (I like to use equal amounts of teff, sorghum and millet, but you can mix and match whatever you want or have!)
1/3 C (46g) starch (I use arrowroot, but tapioca, potato, corn or some other kind of starch will work also)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 tsp cinnamon

Wet Ingredients
2 eggs (I've also used flax eggs, which are 1 T ground flax seed and 3 T water per egg, mix and set aside 5 minutes to allow to gel up)
3 T liquid oil, (I prefer melted butter, but coconut oil or something else works great too)
2 T maple syrup or honey
1 1/4-1 1/2 C milk (Dairy or non-dairy, buttermilk is awesome too)

Heat waffle maker.

In a large bowl whisk the dry ingredients together until uniform.  This is an important step in baking, but especially in gluten free baking because of the many different flours that are used.  In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients together, then add to the dry ingredients. Start with the lesser amount of milk and add more if needed.  Depending on which flours and starches were used and how you measure depends on how much milk will be needed.

Yield: around 6 waffles, depending on your waffle iron

Spoon batter into waffle maker, cook until done and enjoy!  One of our favorite toppings for waffles are lingonberries!  I find these at my local Wal-Mart in the canned fruit section for around $6 a jar.

When we are feeling like we want something really special, I open a tin of this Herren Konfiture that we learned to love in Germany.
http://germandeli.com/Schwartau-Herren-Konfitre-Gentlemans-Choice-Tin-350g


No comments:

Post a Comment