Sunday, December 20, 2015

What I'm Reading: Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz

Welcome to the first edition of "What I'm Reading"!  I am constantly reading a multitude of different things, but I thought I'd share some that I think are incredibly useful.


http://reciperenovator.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/WildFermentation.jpg

I learned about lacto fermentation while reading the Elimination Diet book in May.  Before this I'd never really noticed anything about it.  Perhaps in vague ways.  I knew that alcohol was a product of fermentation, and that yogurt was also.  But I've never been a huge fan of cultured dairy (except cheese and sour cream) and had never considered it might have other uses.  Making my own lacto fermented veggies for the diet was a life changing experience.  I found out that I REALLY liked them.  So crunchy. Tart and fizzy.  I had no idea what I was doing, but I was having fun experimenting.

Since then I've learned a ton about lacto fermentation and how incredibly beneficial it is.  I have since encountered it on many other websites, and marvel that I never knew about it before.  I've also been completely through Sandor's website, WildFermentation.com and have been wanting to read his books about it.  

This book has been an educational experience, it has consolidated information I acquired by randomly surfing the web, and added foundation, theory, and technique I didn't have.  It does have quite a bit new age, hyper liberal, crazy commune rhetoric as part of it, but it doesn't make the book unreadable, and I can eat the meat and spit out the bones.  It is unusual to find a dedicated crafter who is able to put his craft into words that other people can understand and follow, and I am deeply appreciative that Sandor is one of them.  I can't wait to try some of these processes! (Can't really call them recipes, because they are very flexible...more like guidelines)  I am looking forward to reading his other book, The Art of Fermentation and seeing what 10 years has done for his insight into this mostly mysterious realm.

Right now I have a batch of pickles fermenting, and I can't wait to see how they come out!  If they are as amazing as I think they will be, I'll share the recipe!  Alas, I still have to wait most of a week...or longer...  (goes to poke at them as if it will hurry them up, lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment