Monday, December 28, 2015

Blueberry Cucumber Ginger Smoothie

Most green smoothies have quite a bit of fruit in them to help sweeten up the typically bitter greens, but this was causing the same upset stomach and general feeling of unwellness when I have too much sweet anything.  I definitely didn't want to give up the smoothies, so I started trying to think of things that might be able to sweeten up the greens without so much fruit.  I came up with cucumbers!  They have a lovely sweet, mild flavor that mellows the flavor of the greens nicely.  I also put in some blueberries, which are not very sweet in general for a bit of flavor balance, and some spicy ginger I bought that is too hot to do what I bought it for (making syrup for ginger ale).  This smoothie has become my staple smoothie the last week or so, and I'm not sure I'll be changing it any time soon!

Blueberry Cucumber Ginger Smoothie

3/4 c coconut water
2 oz greens (I'm currently using 1 oz baby kale and 1 oz of a spinach arugula blend)
3oz cucumber, washed and unpeeled
3 oz blueberries
1 oz (or more) fresh ginger, sliced against the fibers
a good sized pinch of broccoli sprouts

Blend coconut water and greens until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth, adding a bit more coconut water if needed to keep it flowing in the blender.

Yield: about 2 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment