Sunday, December 20, 2015

Water Kefir Flavor Ideas

After you get your first batch of kefir water, you get the fun of figuring out what flavors you like!  I'm still experimenting a lot, but here's what we've enjoyed so far:

Mulled cranberry: 1-2 tsp mulling spices, 1/2 cup pure cranberry juice

Blueberry: I filled up the rest of the 1 liter bottle with pure blueberry juice

Plain Sucanat: If you let the sucanat version finish fermenting, it doesn't get as fizzy, because most of the sugar has already been eaten, but it gets a wonderful fruity taste to it that is quite unique.  I'm going to try adding a small amount of water with sucanat dissolved into it to the next batch to see if it gets fizzy.
2015-12-20  I tried adding 1 and 2 T dissolved sucanat to 2 bottles of the finished first ferment kefir, and it isn't getting fizzy for some reason.  I'm not sure why, I'll have to experiment some more.

Dr Pepper:  since this is the culprit that hubby needs, I've been playing with various blends to try to make something similar.  I'll post a finished recipe when it passes the hubby test!  For now, I've used prunes, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla extract, almond extract and some random other spices.  Just throw stuff in and see how it comes out!  I've been loosely working off of this recipe I found: Mockter Pepper.
2015-12-17:  I did another trial with pure black cherry juice, frozen raspberries, cloves, mace, peppercorns, allspice, cardamom, a bit of a star anise, a bit of ginger paste, some vanilla and almond extract.  I think it came out pretty good.  Still not Dr Pepper, but better than the last trial.  It took me a few days to drink it and it didn't age very well.  I've got some wintergreen leaves coming in the mail that I will add to another batch.  Gonna try just spicing some plain sucanat and seeing if that will be good.

Ginger:  I've tried a couple times to make some kind of nice ginger drink, but I think the ginger actually kills the probiotics, so it doesn't get fizzy.  Still working on it.

Just try whatever ideas you have, you are sure to find something that you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment