Friday, December 18, 2015

Greek Salad, from Greece (honestly!)

Back in 2006 my hubby had to work, but our church took a trip to Greece and he sent me along with them as a present!  It was really an experience of a life time.  One of the best things about traveling is experiencing different culture's foods, and I fell in love with the ubiquitous cucumber salad that was served everywhere.  It was pretty warm there and I never wanted a very heavy lunch, so I would get this where I could!  When I got back to the States, I missed it so much I decided to recreate it so I could enjoy it any time.  The amounts are approximate, it all depends on what you like.  Sometimes I put more feta in because I'm wanting it a lot, sometimes I put less so it's just a taste.  Sometimes I don't even put olives in if I'm lazy and don't have any around.

Greek Salad

1 large cucumber, try to find a sorta skinny one, the fat ones can get dry and hollow inside and aren't as tasty
2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, because it really does make a difference in taste
1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
a nice feta, preferably from sheep
pitted kalamata olives, or get a nice european olive blend.  The standard american pimento or black olives don't have the zing the kalamata olives have and won't work the same in this recipe.
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
sprinkle of garlic powder
a nice olive oil

Sometimes the skin on cucumbers can get bitter, especially if it's thick.  You can completely peel the cucumber, or leave zebra stripes on it if you want a bit of skin.  Cut into quarters lengthwise, and then cut slices around 1/8 inch wide or thinner.  Put in a bowl that's big enough you can stir everything together.  Dice the tomatos into around 1/4 inch cubes, chop the onion and add both to the bowl.  If you have feta crumbles, add a goodly amount to the bowl, if not, chop some up into 1/4 inch cubes and add.  Put your kalamata olives in, leaving them whole is traditional, but you can slice them if you want.  Sprinkle spices over everything and then pour enough olive oil to coat.  Mix it all up good, allowing the spices and oil to coat everything.  Serve right away or set it in the fridge to allow the spices to blend and leech their flavor into the oil and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment